Monday, 24 March 2014

O Sydney you beauty.


So I feel like it's been a little bit too long since my last blog post. Apologies, it's been so hard to find a spare minute and even harder to find cheap wifi and computers. How is it that it's easier to connect to the world in Asia than Australia?
Anyway right now I am attempting to sort out a sensible life in Melbourne, that and try and not freeze to death in these baltic conditions. I arrived two days ago now and they almost had to force me off the plane when I first felt the weather, a few days ago I was getting sunburnt on Bondi Beach and now I am buying woolly hats and socks. What is this aye...


But back to business, I want to gloat about the amazing week I had in Sydney, it literally took me by surprise how much I loved it infact I started to regret my decision to leave because I was literally having such an amazing time. There is so much to do and its such a surreal lifestyle, just walking around all the gorgeous parks and casually looking over to the Opera house that is right there on your doorstep. An amazing place and even more amazing salad bars, you can tell I am easily pleased. But I was so excited to finally get to Melbourne and job hunt and settle into a routine with my friends that I hadn't even thought about Sydney and what to do there.

So originally I was catching a bus from Coffs Harbour and stopping at Port Macquarie for a few nights then heading to Sydney for a few days then flying to Melbourne but in the end I sacked off Port M and decided not to waste any more time and just get straight to the good stuff so I changed my bus and caught a lovely 11hour bus straight to Sydney. So this meant I had two days flying solo before Luke arrived from where he had been loving life in Byron and we were reunited again for a few days before I ditched him again.

I booked a night in Bounce Hostel for my solo night and literally just spent the day just walking around the city. And I literally mean the whole day, I walked for hours all down the main George street, popped into a few shops to get 'sensible' clothes for Melbourne and walked all around the harbor and Circular Quay doing a few little touristy bits. I'll be honest I was in one of those dead unsociable moods where my own company suited me perfectly so I had no intentions of socializing in any way during the day or when I finally got to my hostel but the girls in my room were so sweet I couldn't pretend to be listening to my music with headphones that weren't even plugged in (my friend actually does this) So I did join in with the evening activity in the hostel which was a pizza and goon night for $5 but I drew the line at the night out they were pushing for and sloped off to bed.


Luke arrived the following day and this is also the horrific day that I left my nice hostel and turned up in this hovel that we had booked in Byron, it was filthy and I made the foolish mistake of joking that if one of us didn't catch some disease or bed bugs here it would be a miracle, so of course who got bed bugs...ME. So what ever you do, no matter how cheap you want to be and the fact it's in a great location DO NOT stay in ChiliBlue Hostel in Kings Cross. DON'T DO IT. But on the other hand Bounce was great, stay there and the reception were so helpful on telling me where to go and what to do.

What I found about Sydney is it's so easy to walk around and find everything, no need to bother with buses just get those legs moving, be warned I may have exceeded this a tad because by the end of it my feet were actually bleeding. Way to over enthusiastic I think.
But normally Luke and I took a nice little stroll down through Kings Cross to this little harbour and walked along the water until we came to this great view of the Opera House and the bridge and the Botanical Gardens.
You have to spend a lot of you time just walking around this bit and of course repeating yourself about how beautiful it is and how you can't believe this is a city and a lifestyle, our new lifestyle. I am literally one big massive broken record.


Make sure you of course do all the cliche touristy bits, walk down to Circular Quay and the Opera House, but be warned that Opera house...not so pretty up close, you want to get your pictures from far back not near the building work, head round the Botanical Gardens and find the spot right by that famous chair thing and there's a great spot, just walk along the river and you'll find it. Definitely sit at the Opera Bar by the water and have a few ciders. I came and sat here on my own to read a book when I got fed up with the Botanical Gardens. Great spot for a bit of people watching too.
I wanted to catch a ferry from Circular Quay and just go out on a boat somewhere on the harbor, I literally wasn't fussed where we actually ended up but one of the ferries was called Charlotte, I mean HELLO and I missed that opportunity, rubbish.


I literally loved my time in good old Sydney, I even went to the gym a few times in Kings Cross, the Fitness First under the massive Coke sign, because they were handing out free trial passes and I needed to get this lard arse in motion, that and the showers there were amazing. Well worth a few minutes of pain on the treadmill. Literally I struggled embarrassingly on the machines but I swear to god there were machines there that I had never even seen before. Look out for free passes being handed out all around town or just go in and ask for a day pass. They let me go there 3 times for free. And underneath is the most amazing health food shop that did these gorgeous protein health shakes, make sure you go just for a good shower and then get this afterwards. Go for number 5...banana, blueberries, some protein thing, almonds and coconut milk, literally incredible.

So if you are heading here then firstly you lucky lucky thing. I am so jealous. I already miss the parks and the salad bars o and the god damn sun.


DON'T MISS

GO: and visit the museums, yeh boring you might be saying, but no they were so fun. I went to the History Museum with Luke to get our geek on and go and see the dinosaurs. But it was actually really interesting and there are some weird stuffed animals to take pictures of. Of course. Also check out the Art Museum, which is in a gorgeous building with these huge rooms that you can wander around like in films. And the Contemporary Art museum by the harbor, but this wasn't as good as I expected it to but still have a look.


EAT: at as many salad bars as you can, I kid you not there are some great cafes here. Look out for the huge metalic blue building by Circular Quay and go in to the CQ cafe and get a takeaway salad box. So many options to choose from and they pile it in there so you will literally be stuffed. Perfect lunch to eat in one of the parks.
Make sure you also check out one of the Mad Pizza restaurants you will see all over the city. Amazing proper pizza and some great combinations of fresh ingredients, and they let me have the garlic oil and overload my pizza. I made a masterpiece and I smelt great.



DRINK: We went for a cheeky cider at the Ivy Hotel, way to posh and expensive for us commoners but it felt great pretending we could afford to be there like all the other rich business man sipping their champagne. We brought one drink and just made it last, but the food prices were actually perfectly reasonable. They serve some insane looking pizzas in these takeaway boxes so pretty quirky and it was only like 20 dollars which is what we paid at Mad pizza. So make sure you go to the rooftop pool bar here and if you're lucky you might find a celebratory. We were unsuccessful. Boo.


STAY: in either Bounce Hostel that I mentioned earlier or my friends stayed in the Jolly Swagman in Kings Cross which was another gooden. And remember no CHILIBLUE.


GO: to Bondi Beach for the day. Well worth it for a nice day trip. This is where we spent my final day in Sydney, I drowned my sorrows with some sneaky wine and just chilled out. So so nice. I want to go back immediately please.



Who else loved Sydney? This is such a short post so I will do more because theres so much more to share but this can be a little taster.

Just seriously walk around everywhere, its heaven. Enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. A little off topic but I was wondering if you took anti-malarials during your travels in Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos..? Keep hearing mixed things.
    On the right topic, I've just finished living, working and travelling in Aus for a year and I would say to make sure you get yourself to Uluru. It's pricey, hot and I've never seen so many flies but it was such an amazing experience. I went with The Rock Tour and. We had so much fun sleeping in swags under the stars around a campfire each night. Definitely try and get there if you can!

    ReplyDelete